So, it is day three of the Thread Faction SS2016 collection blog tour and I am absolutely loving the posts (check the bottom of this post for today’s line up) Remember that there are over $200 worth of fabric prizes to be won, BUT ALSO there are some amazing fabric store discount offers for all our readers so if you need to stock up definitely check it out.
I am participating every day in the tour, and today it is with a Pattern-for-pennies skort/shorts pattern (size 3) – read on for details.
If you have been following my blog for a while you will know that I just can’t resist a good up-cycle. Well this one has been sitting in my ‘current projects’ basket for ages, so I am glad to finally bring it to you.
T-shirt sleeves to shorts (or a skort) with a Pattern-for-pennies(size 3)
I know I am not supposed to say stuff like this, because she is mine, but isn’t H adorable! If you are interested in the tank she is wearing, it is #104 from Thread Faction SS2016
My husband works in retail and gets a lot of promotional shirts. After the promotion is over they are not allowed to wear the shirt any more and they go straight to my refashioning bag. I use the main part of the shirts for rag rugs most of the time, and save the collars and buttons, but am left with the shoulders and sleeves. One of the cool things about this refashion, for the shorts, even with the pockets, the shoulders and sleeves is all you need (for the red ones I just used 2 sets of sleeves).
Ok, lets get to it:
You will need:
- The Size 3 Shorts and Skort upcycling pattern.
- A large men’s T-shirt
- A 50 cm (19 5/8″) length of 2.5 cm (1″) elastic
- Thread, scissors, sewing machine etc
- Print and cut out your pattern pieces taping them together where needed.
- Cut your pattern pieces from your t-shirt like this (you only need to cut the waistband from one layer):
- Then put it all together:
- Slipping one leg inside the other, sew the crotch seam of the shorts.
- Sew your pairs of pocket pieces together, turn them right sides out and topstitch them to your shorts or skort pieces.
- If you are making the skort, with right sides together sew the side seams of the skort now.
- Sew the short ends of your waistband to create a loop.
- Sew your elastic into a loop by overlapping the ends by 2cm and machine stitching in place.
- Fold your waistband in half width wise and sandwich your elastic in between the 2 layers.
- With your shorts right side out, put your waistband elastic sandwich around the outside of the waistband of the shorts lining up all 3 raw edges.
- If you are making the skort, sandwich the skort between the waistband and waistline of the shorts.
- Sew the waistband to the shorts distributing the stretch evenly.
- Hem your skort.
Then you are done!
And now that you are done sewing up an awesome skort/shorts, head off and check out all the other makes and hacks from the tour and win yourself some free fabric from our great sponsors!
The others posting today are:
If you make a skort or some shorts, be sure to grab some pics and hashtag them #SEW4BUB I would love to see your creations!
As always, thanks for reading.